5.25.2006

Thoughts about my Auburn tri results

So I've had a couple of days to digest my results from the Auburn Tri this past weekend. Overall, I feel disappointed in the results. Yes, I finished, and yes, I finished safely, and yes, it's awesome that I even do triathlons (these are all things that Kellie continually tells me). However, I definitely came nowhere near placing within my age group - in fact, I was in the bottom 1/3 of the pack. There were 23 women in my age group, and I finished at #20. It does make me feel better that the fastest woman in the whole tri was in my age group, and she finished in 1:02. There is NO way I'm competing in that ball park!

Results (men & women combined)
Overall: 141 out of 174
Swim: 124 out of 174
Bike: 137 out of 174
Run: 161 out of 174

Within my age group:
Overall: 20 out of 23
Swim: 12 out of 23
Bike: 18 out of 23
Run: 19 out of 23

My paces:
Swim: 51:34 min/mile
Bike: 7:52 mph
Run: 13:30 min/mile

In every tri I've ever done, the pattern of results are the same. This tri is no different. The swim is my best category. I always come out finishing ahead of my overall place (for example, in this tri, I finished 124th in the swim vs 141st overall). That means I lose ground somewhere along the way. Inevitably, it's most apparent in the run. I definitely lose some ground in the bike (again, this tri is no different - my bike place is usually around where I end up in the end - 137th in this tri vs an overall of 141st). But I lose soooo much ground in the run every single time. I mean, 93% of people who did the tri ran the course faster than me! What kind of shit is that?? Running has always been my weakest sport, but I've really been concentrating on the running this season, and I really felt good about my progress, but the results weren't there. Apparently I'm not training the right way, or often enough, or something. This is an area where I feel a personal trainer can help me the most.

So there's my take on my results from the Auburn Tri. I have 2 whole months to improve my performance for my next tri, and I certainly hope I can see some progress.

Race results:
Overall: 1:44:41.2
Swim (1/3 mile): 15:59.0
Bike (8.5 miles): 1:03:36.0
Run (2 miles): 25:06.2

2 Comments:

At Sat May 27, 03:15:00 PM, Blogger Beau said...

I've been thinking about what you've written for a few days.

Firstly, I couldn't do what you do in a Triathalon.

Secondly, you are doing your best - you're pushing yourself to your limit and then you keep going. That is itself is something to be proud of.

Thirdly, I think you do the triathalons because they are fun. Maybe that is too much of the youth-soccer coach coming out in me, but having fun while you do it really important.

Finally, stick with it. The more you train and focus on the opportunities (like you are with running) the better you will do.

Hope I haven't overstepped my bounds. I look up to people like you who get out and actually do these things.

 
At Wed May 31, 06:14:00 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Training with "real runners" took my running to the next level. The mechanics of my stride were all wrong, it turns out.

Maybe you could just do the See Jane Sports fun runs and ask for some advice?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home