3.30.2006

I'm learning something new every day ...

I just bought my first heart rate monitor (Polar F4 - I didn't even realize it's a women's specific HRM, which is just a bizarre concept), and I am lovin' it! I'm a data gal, so the more data I have, the better.

Tonight was our weekly track workout with See Jane Tri (SJT) and the first time I had used my HRM. After warmup and line drills, we started our main workout, which was "supposed" to be 3 laps at 70% plus a 2 minute rest, repeated for 30 mins. With my handy dandy HRM, my first set of 3 laps had me maxing out at 185 bpm!!! From talking to my coach, I learned that what I obviously think is 70% is something like 95%, so I needed to slow down! By the time I was on my 3rd set of laps, I had gotten my heart rate under control, but I was practically walking.

All of that to say that what I learned is this:

  • HRMs are awesome! Get one if you don't have one.
  • When the workout is supposed to be at a certain % of effort, that means that I should be exercising at that % of my max heart rate. (which I do need to figure out what that number is!)
  • My long runs that are outside of training need to be only about endurance and not about speed. I should be able to run that speed forever. Target HR less than 150 bpm (according to coach)

I felt really good, as usual, after tonight's workout. I get so worked up during the workout that it's hard for me to wind down for sleep. And having this new blog isn't helping that either! ;)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home